You may be aware that DPM is expanding into many regions of the world. Did you know, however, that DPM has vital work taking place in the region of East Africa?
DPM was given a generous donation to renew the work in East Africa, and to supply Bibles and Derek Prince teaching in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and Rwanda. The Lord has opened many avenues for distribution—prisons, refugee camps, the military, and the police. Materials have also been distributed in hospitals, Bible schools, universities, in Christian conferences, as well as amongst churches and individuals.
Our strategy has been to make Derek’s teaching available both in English (mainly Uganda and Kenya) and also in the local languages of Swahili (Kenya and Tanzania), Kirundi (Burundi), and Kinyarwanda (Rwanda). Our translation teams have been hard at work—resulting in many testimonies of changed lives and a first-time understanding of the Word of God in their own language. Readers are so grateful to receive Bible teaching in their mother-tongue where Bible teaching is very scarce.
Exciting progress made
- Recently, our printer in Nairobi sent 3,000 copies of They Shall Expel Demons and 2,000 copies of Shaping History through Prayer and Fasting (both in Swahili) to Amani Moses in Arusha, Tanzania. This is the first time that these books have been available in Tanzania in Swahili.
- In Kirundi language (Burundi), Life-Changing Spiritual Power (LCSP), is in the final stages of being checked by the translator before printing both LCSP and Self-Study Bible Course (SSBC) for free distribution. These will be the first books ever available in Kirundi.
- We have recently printed Shaping History Through Prayer and Fasting and Self-Study Bible Course in Kinyarwanda which are waiting in our printer’s warehouse in Nairobi, Kenya for the last book in the current series of printing, LCSP, to be completed (hopefully by September) to ship them all to Rwanda in one batch. These will be for free distribution.
- In Uganda, travel restrictions are beginning to open up and our outreach coordinators Geoffrey and Pauline are able to teach in small gatherings once again and take Bibles and Derek’s books for distribution. Though the lockdown, Geoffrey has been using WhatsApp to continue our Bible School training using Derek’s teaching and has about 200 active students. He has had students from surrounding nations including as far away as Namibia.
- In Kenya, we have been focussed on various printing projects (as above) and working on more Swahili translation work. In the past couple of months, we have completed Praying for the Government, Power of the Sacrifice and two teaching letters: Barriers to Blessing and Defence Against Discouragement. As a background task, our translator is checking Foundations for Life, Derek’s 52-chapter book on Hebrews 6:1-2. Initially, we will make these shorter teachings available digitally on our website and by WhatsApp etc but ultimately our plan is to print them for hardcopy distribution as they are cheaper and more accessible to people who are not good readers. Some areas and institutions (like prisons) are still in lockdown, but we are looking forward to being able to distribute more freely in the coming months.
(Picture: Peter Lindop and Geoffrey, DPM East Africa outreach coordinators)