Todays Devotional: Finishing His Work
My body is a temple for the Holy Spirit, redeemed, cleansed, and sanctified by the blood of Jesus.
Finishing His Work
Here are a few suggestions regarding how to treat your body as a temple for the Holy Spirit.
- First of all, treat your body with reverence because it is a temple of the Holy Spirit, whom we revere. Among contemporary Christians, I find there is very little reverence for the body.
- Second, seek the help of the Holy Spirit in cultivating self-discipline.
- Third, take the time and make the effort to distinguish between that which is helpful and that which is harmful.
- Fourth, be willing to be radical because your life is at stake.
- Fifth, seek to cooperate with the Holy Spirit.
There are many other steps I could add to this list, but these I have acquired through experience. I was challenged by the Lord to consider whether I was leading a life of self-indulgence. I was challenged by the Lord to consider these questions: Do I want to go on living? Do I want to finish my assigned task? Jesus said to His disciples, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work” (John 4:34).
That is the best diet: to do the will of Him who sent us—and to finish His work. Even after spending more than fifty years in the Lord’s service, I believed there were certain tasks assigned to me by God that I had not yet fulfilled. I never took it for granted that I would fulfill them. I always took care of my body, knowing the importance of keeping myself in good physical condition so my life would not be cut short before I had finished God’s work.
Thank You, Lord, for the blood of Jesus and the work of Your Holy Spirit. I proclaim that I will cooperate with the Holy Spirit, keeping myself in good physical condition to finish His work. My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, redeemed, cleansed, and sanctified by the blood of Jesus. Amen.
All Devotionals are extracts from: